Workers’ Compensation Legal Secretary/Paralegal
Workers’ Comp Paralegal/Legal Secretary
Job Description as outlined below.
Must be Bilingual with a minimum 2-3 years experience working in the workers’ compensation profession as a secretary and/or paralegal. . WC Legal Secretaries assist lawyers in preparing and organizing various legal documents for upcoming cases and trials. Their main duties include preparing correspondence, discussing case details with attorneys and clients and organizing different files for different legal proceedings.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist WC attorneys with secretarial and clerical duties.
- Understands all faucets of handling large caseloads of WC claims from initial interview to pre-settlement. filling out new client forms, setting up case file in TrialWorks, referring client to MPN doctor, filing a DOR.
- Filling out new client forms.
- Refers client to MPN doctor.
- Handles all EAMS & filing with the WCAB.
- Performs C&R’s, Stips, Petitions.
- Can evaluate third party PI claims.
- Address and handle all SPQME Letters & advocacy letters.
- Prepare exhibits and properly use EAMS to send to opposing counsel or the claims adjuster and know the rules and time limits on the statutory periods when to respond and address QME’s and PTP’s on the MPN’s.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic principles, concepts and methodology of Workers’ Compensation legal proceedings and legal research.
- Within the introductory period, obtain a working knowledge of Workers’ Compensation Law, Rules of Conduct and procedures as they apply to the performance of major duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Knowledge of attorney client relationships applicable to the performance of major duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Principles of legal writing.
- Problem identification, analysis and evaluation.
- Principles of effective writing and verbal presentation.
- Business math for completing non-technical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Computerized information and database record keeping systems.
- Computer information systems, including personal computer applications, work processing and spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of EAMS or other computerized legal research system(s).
- Provides translation for the follow: letters and documents, client deposition prep and client meetings.
Essential Elements / Ability To:
- Must be bilingual in English and Spanish
- Possess visual capability and digital dexterity to operate a computer and other standard office equipment.
- Make fine visual distinctions upon proofreading written documents and viewing information on a computer screen.
- Communicate clearly and effectively in person and in writing.
- Digital dexterity to assemble, retrieve and replace files.
- Communicate by telephone.
- Endure prolonged periods of sitting.
- Speak clearly and articulate messages.
- Travel by automobile as required.
- Diploma or equivalent work experience in a field that develops the skills required for the functions and responsibilities of the position, and
- Problem Completion of an approved paralegal program and
- Minimum two (2-3) years’ experience as a paralegal or legal assistant
- Accomplished computer keyboarding skills.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus pay
Bentley & More LLP requires Covid-19 vaccinations
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Newport Beach, CA 92660: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Workers’ compensation law: 3 years (Required)
Work Location: One location