Getting into a car accident can be a scary and confusing experience for those involved, particularly for those who are harmed by the careless or negligent actions of another driver.
Many people think that a car accident case will be fairly straightforward if they were not to blame for the incident, but the reality is that it can be very difficult to secure compensation.
If you or a loved one are involved in a car accident caused by somebody else, it may be necessary for you to secure a car accident attorney so you can obtain full compensation for your losses.
What can an attorney do for your car accident case?
A skilled California car accident lawyer is going to be an invaluable resource for your case. If you were not at fault for the incident, you can be sure that the insurance carriers of the other parties involved will do what they can to limit the amount of money they payout in a settlement.
However, an attorney will be able to counter these moves by using their resources and legal expertise to:
- Fully investigate the incident. This can include gathering any video surveillance of the incident, photographs taken at the scene of the crash, statements from eyewitnesses, and accident reports.
- Work with trusted medical professionals. Your attorney will ensure that you are properly evaluated by medical professionals who can fully assess your injuries.
- Properly evaluate your losses. By gathering all medical bills and receipts of out-of-pocket expenses you have incurred, and by working with trusted economic professionals, your attorney can properly calculate your total losses in order to present them to the opposing side for reimbursement.
- Handle communication with all parties involved. Your attorney will be responsible for communicating with insurance carriers and any legal teams involved. This keeps you from saying or doing anything that could jeopardize your case.
- Fully prepare your case for trial. If the insurance carriers or at-fault party refuses to offer a fair settlement for your losses, or if your claim is denied altogether, and may be necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit in civil court. An attorney will be ready to handle every aspect of this so you do not have to.
The other party could try to blame you
You need to be aware that the other parties involved or their insurance carriers could try to place some or all of the blame for the accident on you. They will do this because, under California’s comparative negligence laws, they will not have to pay as much in a settlement if they can prove that the other party involved (in this case you) was responsible in some way.
While those who are partially at fault for a crash can still receive compensation for the incident, the compensation will be reduced based on their percentage of fault. That is why it is crucial to work with an attorney who can counter any accusations of blame by presenting the evidence they have gathered and proving liability.
A contingency fee basis
It is important to point out that most San Bernardino car accident lawyers will take these cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that a car accident victim will face no upfront or out-of-pocket costs for their case.
The client will only pay legal fees after their attorney secures the compensation they deserve.