Irvine Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Nursing homes provide refuge and medical care to elderly individuals, helping families who cannot provide this care on their own. When nursing home staff fails to uphold an acceptable standard of care, neglect their duties, or directly abuse the patients in their care, residents in nursing homes stand to suffer serious injuries, illnesses, and other losses.
At Bentley & More, LLP, our nursing home abuse attorneys are committed to providing comprehensive and compassionate legal counsel to people who have suffered due to negligence and willful abuse. Nursing home abuse is a serious matter, and anyone who has experienced it in Santa Ana, Anaheim, Irvine or the rest of Orange County needs to understand their options for pursuing justice and compensation for their damages.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
Caregivers in nursing homes are in positions of authority and must use that authority responsibly. Unfortunately, some nursing home staff members use this authority to abuse the people in their care, and that abuse can take several forms:
- Physical abuse, such as hitting, slapping, or otherwise physically harming a resident.
- Emotional abuse, such as toying with a resident’s mental health problems, ridicule, insults, and other antagonizing behaviors.
- Sexual abuse, which can include rape and sexual assault, forcing residents to view pornographic material, or unwelcome touching, groping, or sexual remarks.
- Financial abuse. Some nursing home staff members steal money from residents or use personal information to commit fraud using a resident’s identity.
- Neglect. Nursing home staff must ensure their patients have access to nutritious food and water, clean sheets and bedding, and all their necessary medical care. Failing to reposition bedridden patients on a regular basis can cause bedsores – painful injuries that can sometimes become infected and jeopardize the victim’s life.
It’s vital for the loved ones of elderly individuals in nursing homes to pay close attention for any signs of abuse. An elderly person experiencing abuse at the hands of nursing home staff may have inexplicable bruises and other injuries, seem withdrawn or distracted during visits, or seem fearful or reluctant for visits to end.
If you suspect nursing home abuse, it is imperative to act quickly. Talk to other residents if possible about life at the nursing home, and try to talk to your loved one about his or her experiences. If you discover nursing home abuse, remove your loved one from the dangerous environment, contact the authorities, and then reach out to a reliable nursing home abuse attorney in Orange County for legal counsel.
Suing for Nursing Home Abuse in Orange County
If a nursing home staff member commits intentional abuse, he or she will likely face criminal charges in addition to civil actions filed by victims. If an employee’s negligence causes harm to a nursing home resident, the nursing home may be liable for the resulting damages.
Anyone in Santa Ana, Irvine, Anaheim, or anywhere else in Orange County who has experienced any type of nursing home abuse can reach out to Bentley & More, LLP for a free initial consultation. We understand how devastating a nursing home abuse situation can be, and we take the time to get to know every client’s situation intimately so we can provide the best representation possible.