Riverside Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents are common throughout California, including Riverside, but no one is truly prepared for their impact on our lives. Depending on the severity of the crash, you could experience severe physical injuries and lengthy recovery periods. You may have to miss work or you may develop disabilities that could prevent you from working altogether.
If you suffer injuries in a car accident, you could be facing significant financial, physical, and emotional damage. For assistance in collecting compensation for your damages, trust the attorneys at Bentley & More LLP. Our Riverside car accident attorney has significant experience litigating multiple areas of personal injury law, especially California car accidents.
- Bentley & More LLP operates on a contingency fee basis to limit your out of pocket costs. We will take a percentage of your final settlement as payment and if we do not win your case, you do not pay legal fees.
- Our Orange County personal injury attorneys have experience in the courtroom and will fight aggressively to recover your settlement. We will take your case to court if necessary.
- Our firm tailors our services to the needs of each client. We will take time to learn your story to build a compelling case in your favor.
Riverside Car Accident Resources
- Do I need a lawyer if I’ve been involved in a car accident?
- When should I get an attorney after a car accident?
- How much does a lawyer cost for a car accident?
- What damages can I recover in a car accident case?
Do You Need a Lawyer After a Car Accident?
After a car accident, it can be tempting to handle the claim by yourself. However, depending on the severity of your injuries and the complexity of your accident, you may need to negotiate with insurance companies or bring your case to the courtroom. To maximize your chances of obtaining compensation, you need a car accident attorney on your side.
At Bentley & More, our attorneys know how to navigate car accidents claim to help guide you through these legal processes. In addition, our attorneys have the ability to evaluate settlement offers from the insurance company and negotiate for a higher amount in your favor. Hiring an attorney can increase your chances of a successful outcome in a car accident claim.
When Should You Get an Attorney After a Car Accident?
After you suffer injuries in a car accident, an insurance adjuster may attempt to contact you, offer you a settlement, or ask to record a statement on the accident. You should not speak to an adjuster until after you contact a car accident attorney. These adjusters can use your words against you to reduce your chances of compensation. If you are planning on filing a legal claim against an at-fault party, contact the Riverside car accident lawyers at Bentley & More as soon as possible after your accident.
How Much Will a Car Accident Attorney Cost?
There is a common misconception with attorneys that they are so expensive they cause clients to go broke. While legal fees can be pricey – causing you to go broke is far from true. At Bentley & More, we operate on a contingency fee basis, meaning we don’t charge attorneys fees unless we win your case. That’s right – we don’t get paid until you do. Other ways we aim to reduce your out-of-pocket expenses are:
- Offering a FREE initial consultation with one of our award-winning attorneys. No commitment, no strings attached. Our team of attorneys are waiting to discuss your case with you – free of charge! During your consultation, a member of our team will review your case with you and let you know if you have a case and how we can help maximize your compensation. They can also answer any questions you may have about the process or what to expect.
- Minimizing the hours billed to you. At Bentley & More LLP, we understand that your money is hard earned and shouldn’t be wasted on excessive legal fees. That’s why we utilize everyone on our staff to handle your case as quickly and efficiently as possible – maximizing the amount of compensation you receive.
What Damages Can Be Recovered in a Car Accident Case?
Riverside car accident claims give victims the opportunity to recover monetary awards for their crash-related damages. “Damages” can refer to a variety of losses the wreck caused to the claimant. Car accident victims can seek recovery for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Attorney’s fees
- Rental car costs
- Mental anguish
- Lost quality of life
- and more in California
Car Accident Laws in Riverside and California
In California, you have the right to file an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party in your car accident. You have two years from the date of your car accident to file your car accident lawsuit in order for the California civil court to hear it. It is important to contact a Riverside car accident attorney as soon as possible to file your claim within this deadline.
In addition, California follows a comparative negligence rule, which can reduce your compensation amount by your portion of fault in your accident. For example, say that you are not wearing a seatbelt when the at-fault driver runs a red light and hits you. You file a claim for $100,000 in damages. Since wearing a seatbelt is mandatory in Riverside and California as a whole, the court can assign you 40% of the liability. You will receive an award of $60,000 instead.
Riverside Car Accident Statistics
Car accidents are unfortunately common cause of death and injury in the United States, including California and Riverside. According to City Data and LiveStories, Riverside saw the following numbers of fatal car accidents in 2017.
- 24 fatal car accidents occurred in Riverside in 2017.
- 11 of these car accidents involved driving under the influence.
- 26 people died as a result of these car accidents in Riverside in 2017.
- 320 people died in car accidents in Riverside County in 2017.
- 51 people were involved in fatal car accidents.
- 8 of these people involved were pedestrians.
- Riverside County’s deaths by car accidents per 100,000 people was 13, higher than the national average of 12 and California’s 10.2.
Riverside Population and Traffic Information
Riverside County has a population of 323,666. It’s part of one of the busiest metropolitan areas in the nation and is home to three major highways: the I-215, State Route 60, and State Route 91. High traffic volumes and congestion may play a role in car accidents throughout Riverside and the metro area.
Factors Affecting Crashes in Riverside
Car accidents can occur in virtually any situation, but some factors are more likely to lead to injury-causing accidents than others. The California OTS found that the following factors were most likely to play a role in accidents in 2015.
- According the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, driver error accounts for most car accidents. Statistics in Riverside County seem to echo this point, with 641 fatal and injury-causing accidents related to speeding.
- Time of day. The California OTS reports that many injury-causing or fatal accidents occur between 9 pm and 3 am. In 2015, 257 accidents occurred during this period. Drinking and driving and fatigue likely play a role in these crashes. There were 579 DUI arrests in Riverside in the same year.
Other factors that may influence car accidents in the area include distracted driving, construction, even ambient road conditions.
California has some of the most progressive distracted driving laws in the country; there is a ban on texting and handheld phone use while operating a motor vehicle. According to the California OTS:
- 80% of crashes involve driver inattention.
- Nearly 3,000 people lose their lives nationally each year due to distracted driving.
- Talking on a cell phone is the most common source of driver distraction.
- Talking on a phone, even a hands-free device, can lead to “inattention blindness,” which means your brain doesn’t see what’s right in front of you, even if you’re “paying attention.”
- Reading a text can take your eyes off the road for five seconds, which means you could travel 100 yards at 55 mph without ever looking at the road.
Whether from construction, congestion, or even rain, road conditions can also contribute to Riverside car accidents. Since California does not receive a lot of rain, for example, slippery conditions during rains can lead to more accidents than occur in areas of the country that get more rain regularly. Slippery road conditions can cause both serious and fatal accidents, especially if Californians do not slow down and drive for ambient conditions.
Common Types of Injuries in a Car Accident
Injuries in a car accident can range from cuts and scrapes to permanent spinal cord injuries. The speed, severity, and circumstances of the accident can determine the types of injuries. Some of the most common we see at Bentley & More LLP include:
- Broken bones
- Head and brain injuries
- Internal injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
Contact a Riverside car accident attorney if you or someone you love suffered catastrophic or long-term injuries in an Orange County car accident. You deserve excellent legal representation. The more severe your damages, the greater the compensation award. Our firm can help you get the most for your claim.
What to Do After an Accident
The moments after a car accident can be disorienting and painful. You should seek immediate medical attention after the accident by calling 911. If you are well enough, take the following steps to document information after the accident.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, including all vehicles involved, any traffic signs, and the road around the area.
- Collect information from the other driver, including his or her insurance information, driver’s license, license plate number, and make and model of the vehicle.
- If there are any witnesses in the scene, take their information as well. They could provide testimony in your case later on.
Once you receive treatment for your injuries and detailed your story to a police officer, contact Bentley & More immediately. Do not speak to an insurance adjuster until after you speak to an attorney.
Contact Bentley & More LLP Today
If you need an attorney to assist you with your Riverside car accident claim, look no further than Bentley & More LLP. Our firm has the resources and the experience you need to negotiate with insurance companies for the maximum possible settlement, as well as enter the courtroom.
Our firm offers free consultations at our offices or in a location convenient to you. Contact Bentley & More LLP today to schedule your appointment and to discuss your legal options further.